historical information paraphrased from the parish’s 50th Jubilee Book – 1941 to 1991
Our parish’s founding pastor, Fr. Briody, opened the school in September 1942. Sisters of the Holy Cross staffed the school. The first classes were held in the church itself. The portable wooden church was originally purchased from the Sears catalogue and had been used by St. Giles and Queen of All Saints. Two classes were held in the each end of the sacristy and the church itself was divided into four sections with drapes for walls. Hinged, folding desktops were secured to pews to provide desktops for students during the week. By December of 1942, children and teachers were moving into the new school building. By 1949 burgeoning enrollment required the building of an addition and eight new classrooms were added. During the 1950’s some children had to share desks, sitting two to a seat as class sizes exceeded sixty. In order to alleviate overcrowding, the school had two shifts; 9:00 a.m. until noon and 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. At the behest of Cardinal Stritch, four classrooms were added to the school building to serve the needs of hearing- and visually-impaired children. Due to the openings of several parishes in the area during the 1940’s and 1950’s, the boundaries of Most Holy Redeemer Parish were reduced to: 87th Street on the north, 99th Street on the south, Pulaski Road on the west and Kedzie Avenue on the east.
The Office of Catholic Schools renewed Most Holy Redeemer School’s full certification status, following a 3-day review by a School Improvement Visiting Team in August of 2004. Recognition by the Illinois State Board of Education was also renewed following a visit to the school in May of 2014.
393 children, from 216 families, are enrolled in our preschools through eighth grades. Twenty teachers staff homerooms. The average class size is 20 students; the largest class size is 26 students. Supplementing our general elementary education curriculum are part-time: school counselor, art, computer, music and physical education teachers.
Our school is supported primarily through the collection of tuition from families. As has been the case since opening its doors to welcome students in 1942, Most Holy Redeemer School thrives through the backing of the parishioners of Most Holy Redeemer Parish. Our families enjoy spiritual, volunteer and financial support from parishioners; assisting our school in being, “Dedicated to the Total Growth and Development of the Christian Child.”